8:00 - 19:00

Our Opening Hours Mon. - Fri.

(604) 806-1055

Call Us For Free Consultation



International Mobility Program

immigration consultants > International Mobility Program

Hire a temporary worker through the International Mobility Program


The International Mobility Program (IMP) lets employers hire temporary workers without a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). Exemptions from the LMIA process are based on

  • broader economic, cultural or other competitive advantages for Canada; and
  • reciprocal benefits enjoyed by Canadians and permanent residents.

Find out if you need an LMIA, or contact the International Mobility Worker Unit (IMWU) serving your province or territory if you need help determining if you need an LMIA.


Submit an offer of employment


In most cases, to hire a temporary worker through the IMP, you must

  • pay the employer compliance fee of $230; and
  • submit an offer of employment form through the Employer Portal.

Note: If you are hiring a temporary worker who has an open work permit, you do not need to submit an offer of employment form or pay the employer compliance fee. An open work permit allows the permit holder to work for any Canadian employer.


Employer compliance fee exemptions


Some employers do not need to pay the employer compliance fee. To find out if you do not need to pay this fee, review the list of employer compliance fee exemption codes. If you do not need to pay the compliance fee, you will need the exemption code that applies to your situation when completing the offer of employment form. Find out if you are exempt from the employer compliance fee.

After you submit an offer of employment

After you submit an offer of employment through the Employer Portal, you will receive an offer of employment number. You must give this number to the temporary worker you plan to hire or are continuing to employ.

Once the temporary worker has this information, they can complete the work permit application. CIC or the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) will review the application to see if the temporary worker is eligible to work in Canada. If the application is approved, the temporary worker will receive

  • a letter of introduction (LOI) if they are outside of Canada; or
  • a new work permit if they are residing in Canada or applying at the time of entry into Canada.

If the temporary worker is still eligible when they arrive in Canada, a border services officer will issue the work permit at the point of entry.


Other important hiring information


  • Depending on their country of citizenship, a temporary worker may need a temporary resident visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada.
  • Depending on the type of work they will do in Canada and where they lived the previous year, temporary workers may have to undergo a medical examination during the application process.
  • Some countries have requirements that citizens must meet before leaving the country. They may need an exit visa or other documents related to their Canadian employment. Temporary workers should check with their government authorities to find out what the requirements are before they attempt to leave.
  • Make sure you hire someone with a valid work permit and follow the conditions described on work permits. Find out what your responsibilities are as an employer after you hire a temporary worker.